Bass Fish Information
Adult largemouth bass prefer to feed on small fish like perch, sunfish, and minnows. However they are also known to eat crayfish, insects, frogs, and even small aquatic birds. A bass under two inches, known as a "fry", will do not act as predators but instead feed on zooplankton and insect larvae.
Bass is a name shared by many species of fish. The term encompasses both freshwater and marine species, all belonging to the large order Perciformes, or perch-like fishes. The word bass comes from Middle English bars, meaning "Perch".
- The largemouth bass has a number of aliases: the wide-mouth bass, Florida bass, black bass, bigmouth bass, bucket-mouth bass, green bass, green trout, southern largemouth and northern largemouth
- A bass' average lifespan is about 16 years, but have been known to live more than 20 years.
- Largemouth bass have highly attuned sense of smell, and can zero in on prey by following scent trails in the water.
- Female largemouth bass are usually larger than male largemouth bass of the same age.
- Largemouth bass will often breach the surface of the water and become airborne when hooked in an effort to break free.
- It is encouraged among anglers to release large specimens of largemouth bass, because the larger fish are usually breed-king females that contribute to the future fishing stock.
World Record Bass Catches
- The world record bass was caught in 1932 and weighed 22 pounds 4 ounces. In 2009, the same size bass was caught in Japan to tie the record.
Feeding Habits Of The Bass
- Feeding habits depend on a variety of different factors such as weather, season, and time of day.
- Due to sensitivity to light, largemouth bass are more active early and late in the day.
- Early spring is the easiest time to hook a largemouth because they will start moving closer to the surface.
Most Common Fishing Lures Used For Bass Fishing
- The most common lures used for bass fishing include plastic worms, jigs, crank-baits, spinner-baits, and spoons.
- Bass are opportunist foragers, so experiment with different types of bait and lures.
- Largemouth bass are mostly attracted to the color red.